Touro University California College of Pharmacy
News & Events
Please join me in congratulating your colleagues as part of the Script Your Future team in winning the 2018 Communication and Media Outreach Award! The following includes the press release for this information if you are interested in learning about their efforts to promote medication adherence as part of a national campaign.
Leslie Wu and Diana Nguyen will be accepting this award on behalf of the team at the 2018 Annual American Association Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP) in Boston, MA this July. The award will include a certificate and a stipend. I can personally attest that this level of national recognition is well deserved for the following individuals as Script Your Future ambassadors! It has been an honor working with such a dedicated group. Please make sure you congratulate these individuals when you see them!
- Leslie Wu (P1)
- Nhat Nguyen (P1)
- Diana Nguyen (P2)
- Jimmy Huang (P2)
- Jimin Lee (P3)
- Christina Doan (P3)
- Stefanie Navarro (P4)
Emily Chan, PharmD, BCACP
Assistant Professor, Clinical Sciences Department
Touro University California College of Pharmacy
- Touro University California College of Pharmacy Graduation @Zellerbach Hall, UC Berkeley.
- P2/Class of 2021 APPE Orientation + Pharmily Cafe
- P1 Triple Jump exams & OSCE
- College of Pharmacy Class of 2021 Pinning Ceremony
- End of Year Ceremony (P1/P2) @Farragut Inn, Mare Island, California
P2 Triple Jump exams & OSCE
7-MAY-2018 to 11-MAY-2018
- Monday, May 7, 2018 - Track 2 P1/P2 Block C exams
- Tuesday, May 8, 2018 - Track 3 P1/P2 Block C exams
- Wednesday, May 9, 2018 - COP Study Day
- Thursday, May 10, 2018 - Track 4 P1/P2 Block C exams
- Friday, May 11, 2018 - Track 1 Block C exams
- PCOA exam
- Annual College of Pharmacy Legislative Day, Sacramento, California
2-APRIL-2018 to 6-APRIL-2018
- Spring Break
* * * * * *
- FAREWELL: Dr. Maggie Louie, Associate Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences, will be leaving the College of Pharmacy at the end of the month. Dr. Louie has been a valued faculty member, teacher, and research mentor for our students and faculty during the past 12 years. Her devotion to our students and program will be greatly missed, and we wish her the best in her future endeavors.
- BIG GAME: For those of you who missed it, the Big Game is available on YouTube – https://youtu.be/7XzkwbzsPwA . Please note the video starts at 34:20
- CONGRATULATIONS to Danielle Thanh (Class of 2018) for being awarded the United States Public Health Service (USPHS) Excellence in Public Health Pharmacy Award.
- KUDOS to Dr. Alison McCormick, Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences, and her colleagues, for their paper, "Intranasal administration of a two-dose adjuvanted multi-antigen TMV-subunit conjugate vaccine fully protects mice against Francisella tularensis LVS challenge," which was accepted for publication in PLOS One.
- CONGRATULATIONS to the following new board members for 2018-2019 for the Touro University Student Chapter of AMCP:
- President: Felicia Gary
- VP of Internal Affairs: Xeng Xiong
- VP of Professional Relations: Shany Kalman
- VP of Public Relations: Zachary Hua
- Director of Media Affairs: Jesus Chavez-Rojas
- Director of Finance: Casey Diep
- P&T Competition Co-Chairs (x2): Dee Nguyen & Daljit Kandola
- PASSOVER SEDER: We had a great turnout today - a wonderful break from Block exams!
- DEL CAMPO HIGH SCHOOL: TUC COP Doctor of Pharmacy students serving as role models and sharing information about drug abuse at Del Campo High School.
- MATCH DAY: Congratulations to everyone who matched in Phase I! So proud of the 30 students and alumni who matched for PGY1 and PGY2 residencies in California, Michigan, and Wisconsin!
19-MARCH-2018 to 23-MARCH-2018
- Monday, March 19, 2018 - Track 1 P1/P2 Block B exams + Pharmily Cafe
- Tuesday, March 20, 2018 - Track 2 P1/P2 Block B exams
- Wednesday, March 21, 2018 - COP Study Day
- Thursday, March 22, 2018 - Track 3 P1/P2 Block B exams
- Friday, March 23, 2018 - Track 4 Block B exams + Pharmily Cafe
- KUDOS to Keith Yoshizuka, Chair of Social Behavioral and Administrative Sciences, for his paper, "Ethics: A Problem in Pharmacy?" which was published in the California Journal of Health-System Pharmacy.
- KUDOS to our awesome CAPSLEAD team for capably representing Touro University California at the recent meeting.
- CONGRATULATIONS to the CPhA chapter at Touro University California for winning the CPhA-ASP Chapter of Excellence Award this year, continuing on from the tradition from last year!
- HILLEL HOUSE: It was a pleasure visiting UCLA's Hillel House to discuss Touro University California's innovative 2+2 Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) program.
- It was great interacting wiht UCLA students today, including incoming PharmD student Simon Talasazan.
- GOOD LUCK to Touro University California in tonight's BIG GAME!
- College of Pharmacy Annual Poster Day
- TUC COP CLASS OF 2022: Wonderful to reconnect with Hermelinda Avila of Sonoma State University who will be in our incoming Class of 2022!
- SONOMA STATE UNIVERSITY: It was a pleasure for TUC COP to visit with Dr. Carmen Works, Assistant Professor of Chemistry.
- CONGRATULATIONS to Michelle England (Class of 2019) for receiving a Walmart Scholarship from the Touro University California College of Pharmacy.
- DOMINICAN UNIVERSITY: TUC COP faculty members Susan Heimer, Clipper Young, and Adrian Wong enjoyed interacting with Dominican students at a science seminar on campus.
- VALLEJO FARMER'S MARKET: Stop by for free health screening and education from TUC COP Doctor of Pharmacy students.
- TUC COP students providing services at the CSPA Health Fair.
- TUC COP Doctor of Pharmacy students providing education and services at the Vallejo Farmer's Market.
- KUDOS to Dr. Laura Baumgartner, Assistant Professor of Clinical Sciences, and her colleagues for their paper, "Major publications in critical care pharmacotherapy literature: January – December 2017," which was accepted for publication in the Journal of Critical Care.
- CONGRATULATIONS to Julian Aurigui, who has been accepted for a Bristol Myer Squibb APPE rotation in Fall 2018.
BERKELEY YOUTH LGBTQ CLINIC: TUC COP students working with diverse communities.
TUC COP PharmD students participating in the Pharmacy Symposium.
KUDOS to Dr. Shane Desselle, Professor of Social Behavioral and Administrative Sciences, and his co-authors for their paper, "Perceptions of organizational culture and citizenship by faculty in U.S. colleges and schools of pharmacy," which was accepted for publication in Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning.
- TUC COP PharmD students learning about rotation options at the STARS event.
- TUC COP supporting the Red Ribbon Challenge
- FINANCIAL AID WEBINAR for incoming students in the Class of 2022, featuring Kim Kane, Director of Financial Aid. The upcoming webinar, scheduled for Wednesday, February 28 at 6:00 PM is interactive and open to text chat discussions with faculty and support staff. Your invitation to join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android:
- KUDOS to Dr. Shona Mookerjee, Assistant Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences, and her colleagues for publication of their paper, "Osteoblast like MC3T3-E1 cells prefer glycolysis for ATP production but adipocyte like 3T3-L1 cells prefer oxidative phosphorylation," in the Journal of Bone and Mineral Research. doi: 10.1002/jbmr.3390. [Epub ahead of print]
- MESSAGE TO STUDENTS FROM DR. ALBAN: If you are looking for a clean, well lighted place to study stop by the study center at 690 Walnut. In addition to quiet we have coffee and Valentine’s treats.
- WELCOME CLASS OF 2022: Take advantage of scholarship opportunities for the incoming PharmD class. The first round of application deadlines is coming up - Wednesday, February 21, 2018. For more information, go to our webpage or contact Anthony.Williams@tu.edu.
- TUC COP PharmD students making a difference with their interprofessional colleagues
- TUC COP Doctor of Pharmacy students providing services and education at the Vallejo Farmer's Market.
- KUDOS to Drs. Deanna Gee, Margaret Schulte and Rae Matsumoto for their paper, "Use of the Individual Development Plan (IDP) as a Career Planning Tool to Track Accreditation Standards in a Doctor of Pharmacy Program," which was accepted for publication in the American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education.
- PHARMACOECONOMICS WORKSHOP: Dr. David Malewski, Assistant Professor of Social Behavioral and Administrative Sciences, sharing his pharmacoeconomics expertise at an ISPOR workshop.
- BERKELEY GENERAL SUITCASE CLINIC: TUC COP Doctor of Pharmacy students providing education and services in our community.
- ALUMNI MIXER: Looking forward to seeing our alumni on Sunday.
- KUDOs to Dr. Melissa Kirkpatrick and Dr. Emily Chan, Assistant Professors of Clinical Sciences, who were invited to provide Continuing Education at the 2018 CSHP West Coast Preceptor Conference in April: “Tech Tips for Efficient Precepting: Streamlining the Process” and “Turning it Around: How to Handle a Failing Midpoint.”
- KUDOS to Dr. Alison McCormick, Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences, and her colleagues for their paper, "An Improved Tobacco Mosaic Virus (TMV)-Conjugated Multi-Antigen Subunit Vaccine Against Respiratory Tularemia," which was accepted for publication in Frontiers in Biology.
- KUDOS to preceptor extraordinaire, Dr. Neelou Fakourfar, who was recognized by the Student-Run-Free-Clinic for her many hours of service mentoring COP students.
- GOOD MORNING P1s and P2s. Best wishes on your Block Exams!
- CONGRATULATIONS to this year's winners of the P&T Competition who will be representing Touro University California: Xuan Bi, Lola Bae, Jesse Nguyen and Tony Lotte. Kudos to all of the other participants including our other top placing teams:
- Second Place - Jeff Hsiao, Manpreet Kaur, Ivy Yu and Felicia Gray;
- Third Place - Stan Fu Sang Luk, Dustin Adams, Andy Huang and Caleb Yu; and
- Fourth Place - Eric Lai, Megan Lauzon, Jasmeet Singh and Runa Akahoshi.
- KUDOS to Doctor of Pharmacy students from Touro University California College of Pharmacy, Carrie Farr, Chau Huynh, Joseph Lee, Muhomad (Ishmael) Saied, under the direction of Dr. Shane Desselle, Professor of Social, Behavioral and Administrative Sciences, who presented "The Neuroscience Behind Drugs of Abuse" to over 1000 students and faculty at Rio Americano High School in Sacramento, CA. Next stops: Benecia High and Del Campo in Sacramento!
- KUDOs to Drs. Shankar Chinta and David Madden from the Department of Biological and Pharmaceutical Sciences, and their colleagues for their paper, “Cellular Senescence is Induced by the Environmental Neurotoxin Paraquat and Contributes to Neuropathology Linked to Parkinson’s Disease,” which was published in Cell Reports.
- KUDOs to Drs. Paul Perry, Shadi Doroudgar, and Priscilla Van Dyke, for their paper, "Ethanol Forensic Toxicology," which was published in the Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law.
- Touro Goes Red today for Women's Health on American Heart Month!
- Did you know that heart disease and stroke kills 1 in 3 women and 80% of cardiac events can be prevented with education and lifestyle changes? Brought together by APhA/CPhA and SNPhA Touro University California.
- MEET OUR NEW PROVOST at today's Bagels with Berkley: Dr. Sarah Sweitzer, TUC's New Provost & Chief Academic Officer will be meeting with students today Tuesday, January 30, 2018 from 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. in Lecture Hall A. Refreshments will be served
- NEW PROVOST: The College of Pharmacy is pleased to welcome our new Provost, Dr. Sarah Sweitzer, to campus today. There are many opportunities to interact with this Vallejo native and welcome her to our pharmily.
- KUDOS to Dr. Michael Ellerby, Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Dr. Paul Perry, Chair Emeritus of Clinical Sciences, and their colleagues for their paper, "Population Pharmacokinetic/Pharmacodynamic (PK/PD) Modeling of Depot Testosterone Cypionate in Healthy Male Subjects," which was accepted in CPT: Pharmacometrics & Systems Pharmacology.
- CONGRATULATIONS to Golnoush Golshan who was voted by the PharmD Class of 2018 to be their Commencement student speaker for the ceremony this year!
- TUC COP STUDENTS LEARNING ABOUT RESIDENCIES at the CSHP-ACCP Residency Roundtable event. Thank you to the residency program directors, coordinators, mentors and preceptors who participated in the event.
- TOURO UNIVERSITY CALIFORNIA is proud to be located on historic Mare Island.
- CONGRATULATIONS to the newly elected members of the COP Board for next year:
- President - Janessa Cariaga
- VP of Academic Affairs - Daryll Adrian Ferrer
- VP of Admissions - Valerie Ramos
- VP of Alumni Affairs - Alexandria Barney
- VP of Archives - Jessica Le
- VP of Athletics - Nick Wang
- VP of Communications - April Mancilla
- VP of Finance - Stephanie Salcedo
- VP of Social Affairs - Felicia Gary
- WEAR RED DAY IS COMNG UP: February is American Heart Month. Join us in supporting women's health and wearing RED on Thursday, February 1st! A group picture will be taken on the front steps of Lander Hall at 12:10 PM.
- It was wonderful for Touro University California College of Pharmacy to have the opportunity to visit with the UC Merced Pre-pharmacy Club!
- UCI Pre-Pharmacy Day: We had a great time visiting Irvine and sharing information about our innovative 2+2 program!
- KUDOS to Dr. Eric Ip, Chair of Clinical Sciences, and his colleagues for publication of their paper, "What are pharmacists recommending for infant teething?" which was published in the Journal of the American Pharmacists Association.
- KUDOS to Dr. Kevin Ita, Associate Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences for his paper "Ceramic Microneedles and Hollow Microneedles for Transdermal Drug Delivery: Two Decades of Research," which was accepted for publication in the Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology.
Touro University California does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy or childbirth), gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, age, sexual orientation, ethnicity, veteran status, or any other status characteristic protected by applicable laws in employment, or in admission, treatment or access to educational programs or activities.
To the extent provided by law, the university will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities which meet the legal standards for documentation, whenever the individual is otherwise qualified to safely perform all essential functions of the position and meet the academic program technical standards.
This notice is given pursuant to the requirements of Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Age Discrimination Act of 1975, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Clery Act of 1998. For further information on notice of non-discrimination, visit http://wdcrobcolp01.ed.gov/CFAPPS/OCR/contactus.cfm for the address and phone number of the office that serves your area, or call 1-800-421-3481.
The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies. Please note that contact information listed here is for discrimination inquiries only. Please contact the Office of Admissions for admissions related inquiries.
Director of Human Resources and Title IX Coordinator
Dean of Student Affairs
Associate Dean of Student Affairs
College of Pharmacy Newsletters
Current conditions - Mare Island (Vallejo), California
Click here to access College of Pharmacy Student Resources (including calendars)
Copyright 2005 - 2017, Touro University, All Rights Reserved.